Thursday, July 11, 2013

Ugh...I got a milk bleb

So, the other week I noticed that the first time of the night that I nursed my little guy in bed that it twinged a little. I figured, he's mostly asleep, maybe its just a poor latch. The next morning, I notice a white spot on the nipple in question. So I freak a little..."Okay you..." I think to myself "people get thrush all the time, no biggie, you know that GSE (grapefruit seed extract) treats it just fine, you just need to know the specifics." Well, all I can say is thank GOODNESS for knowing a VERY GOOD lactation consultant, as well as the support of La Leche League meetings.

Since I always prefer to be completely sure of what to do, I decided to text an IBCLC friend about what to do to treat me & baby for thrush so that we wouldn't pass it back and forth. Well, I described what it felt like (sharp pain just in the nipple, mostly at initial latch) and that there was a white spot, and that it looked a little stretched after nursing. Her response? "Sounds like you have a bleb.."

Huh?! A what's that again??? A disease or something??? So she sends me a link to the KellyMom description: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/nipplebleb/

Well now. That sounded exactly right. So bleb = nipple blister. Well crap. I've never been much of a self-wound inflictor, and the only real way to actively get rid of one of those is to, well...POP IT. Yes, pop it. A milk blister. ON MY NIPPLE. ON IT. NO WAY.

However, as the day went on, and I started feeling icky, and nursing that side hurt more and more as the blister stretched but didn't break (yes, I did try moist heat, but instead of softening the skin enough to pop...it looked like my brown nipple had a white nipple on it), I gave in. To the popping idea.

Whew. Wash needle - check. Flame sterilize needle (i.e. HOT FREAKING NEEDLE) - check. Clean nipple - check. Homemade all-purpose nipple ointment on standby to help prevent infection. Here we go.............

I popped it!

Yes, the first nursing was freaky. And still hurt. But WAY LESS. And  I could finally empty the other half of my boob. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

No comments:

Post a Comment