Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Happy Due Day and Sitz Bath Recipe

40 WEEKS TODAY!!! Its official - Jayden James is due today, March 5th. Now its just a matter of finding out how late he's going to stay in his comfy hotel. I'm trying to up my intake of red raspberry leaf tea to help, and I'm continuing with the evening primrose oil regimen as well. As a last resort (around 41 weeks) I'll try the Start It Up to get things going, though of course they won't really get going unless he's ready.

As for my postpartum healing plans, I have come across ingredients for an herbal sitz bath in a useful book called Birthing from Within by Pam England & Rob Horowitz (copyrighted of course, and all info taken from it below used purely to educate and maybe to encourage you to buy a copy - click the pic!).

             

In the book, they list "your herbal friends" and a few of their properties:

  • comfrey - builds new cells rapidly which speeds healing, softens skin and soothes wounds; decreases itching and pain
  • rosemary - mild antiseptic
  • yarrow - astringent & antibacterial
  • marshmallow root - soothes inflamed, swollen tissues
  • uva ursi - antibiotic properties
  • goldenseal - antibiotic properties
  • myrhh - helps keep herbs fresh
So, along I went to an all-natural grocery called Harmony Farms in the area with one of my friends that just HAPPENS to also be pregnant. With the expertise of the co-owner Steve we came up with a more exact "recipe" than just the equal parts suggestion...since we all know that all herbs are not created equally, with my science background that was far too vague of a statement hahaha. There is also the fact that goldenseal is the most powerful component of the mix, and is so potent and rare that in powder form (which is the only good option for the sitz bath, a tincture contains alcohol which would obviously be a painful additive, and capsules are often mixed with other ingredients) it can cost around $200 per pound. Also a good reason we're working in OUNCES in this case!


 So, my final results are below, and I have mixed one set of it myself to judge the final mix amount. I believe the recipe below should yield about 8 cups of "sitz tea" (not to be ingested), since it feels like about 2 ounces or so of final product, and the suggestion in the book is to simmer 1-2 ounces of herb blend per 4-8 cups for 20-30 minutes, strain and save unused portion. SO in this scenario: simmer 2 ounces of herb blend in 8 cups of water for 30 minutes, or you can do it in two 1 ounce halves, but as a new parent you might not care for  the added work.
 

My recipe (which can be altered proportionally):

  1. 4 parts COMFREY ROOT (leaf is better for ingestion, which we are not doing here)
  2. 4 parts YARROW
  3. 2 parts MARSHMALLOW ROOT
  4. 1 part UVA URSI
  5. maximum of 1 teaspoon MYRHH
  6. maximum of 1/2 teaspoon GOLDENSEAL (powdered)
  7. rosemary to preference (acts as a binder and brings out the effects of the other herbs as well...no limit)
Any questions please let me know! The owner was a BIG help, and quite knowledgeable!

***UPDATE***
Due to the work, and thought, I put into the herbs, I've decided to sell my extra!!! The finished sitz mix can be found HERE at my Etsy shop!


No comments:

Post a Comment