Friday, March 1, 2013

39 weeks and counting...natural labor help! *updated*

So...today I'm 39 weeks and 3 days. Jayden (according to What To Expect) is as big as a watermelon and weighing 6 to 9 pounds at 19 to 22 inches...which I will have to believe since I have midwives at a freestanding birth center and don't get a bunch of ultrasounds or "medical guesses" as to when he will arrive and how big he is. At my appointment today one of my midwives did declare that I seem to have a "long and skinny" baby boy, which I completely agree with! He seems to be too big to do the normal "fetal curl" position and instead always has his legs stretched out along my entire right side. Odd, since I'm 5'2" and my husband is 5'9" (approx....maybe a tad less).

Well, seeing as how I'm due in 4 days and this little boy seems comfy, I got some suggestions for speeding things along naturally so that he does at least show up soon, if not by his due date on Tuesday (3/5/13)...which happens to be the day after MY BIRTHDAY...crazy year :-)

The list of suggestions begins here with my personal suggestions from my midwives, I've heard, though of course consult your own professional and personal comfort when considering any labor aid...

Evening Primrose Oil

                    
Suggested dose: 1,000 mg by mouth & 500 mg vaginally (both together) daily from 37 weeks on to prevent post-dates

Helps to ripen the cervix, does not induce labor directly however we all know that without a ripe cervix labor won't get you anywhere anyhow!

***I didn't hear about this one until my  39th week (38 weeks and a few days) due to the chaos in the office on my previous visit...i.e. lots of births distracting the midwives lol.***

Suggested dose: 3-5 cups of tea steeped per directions in the earlier portion of the day to avoid being kept up at night by bathroom runs (from all the extra liquid) and frequent contractions.

Recommended by my midwife to get the uterus in shape for labor, and causes contractions, but does NOT put you into labor. According to my midwife, the contractions are extremely useful to finish preparing the uterus for labor, and once its ready (which may be sooner thanks to the workout) labor will come. The easiest brand to find in person is Alvita, averages around $8 or less per box. I got mine from The Vitamin Shoppe.


Suggested dose: 1/2 teaspoon per 150 lbs every 2 hours until results occur during labor same dosage may resume following day. 
Ingredients: Pennyroyal, Feverfew, Blue Cohosh, Black Cohosh, Beth Root

Midwife suggested to help get things started for labor. Follow suggested use and increase accordingly (meaning I'll call and ask my midwife for reinforcement once I purchase it!). There is actually a suggested use for before labor as well, which unfortunately isn't on the store's website, but may be on the bottle. If not, I'll get it from my midwife and post here. They suggest increasing to the suggested use above once you past your due date.

Of course we've heard of other natural labor-inducing remedies (castor oil, pineapples, etc) but I've only listed my recent advice from CNMs. Good luck ladies!

No comments:

Post a Comment