Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Birth Without Fear...an amazing concept in a clouded country

I was fortunate to know that I had choices. I made informed decisions, I researched. I found a freestanding birth center near my home, to avoid the traps a hospital birth hide behind shining lights and professional "suggestions". I took a birthing class and a breastfeeding class with my husband. I constantly voiced my opinions and thoughts, so that in the end, I didn't even need my birth plan, which I didn't have the opportunity to finish typing up anyways since I went into labor instead. I was fortunate to have the disposition to face things head-on, and follow through on decisions I consider major. This is why I did not ask for pain medicine, and why I birthed in a place that it was not an option, in the event of weakness.

I was lucky too. I labored at home from 11pm until around 3pm the next day. I arrived at the birth center 8 cm dilated, and exhausted. I was allowed to do whatever I wanted to get comfortable. My permission was asked before each cervical check, before each doppler monitoring. Even before my blood pressure was taken. We were left to labor without intervention, my husband, my doula and I.
But so many women don't trust their bodies. So many are successfully scared by the horror stories and what-ifs. Bullied by professionals that are supposed to care more about their well being than the bottom line. Then comes Birth Without Fear. An awesome blog run by Mommas, full of inspirational stories of every kind of birth, from unassisted to cesarean, meant to empower women to TAKE BACK CHARGE of their care and do what's right for them. This blog has been fueling my inspiration to help future breastfeeding and birthing Mommas find their way amongst the rubbish. The link is below. Visit. Breathe. Empower yourself :-)




No comments:

Post a Comment