Wednesday, August 21, 2013

"You're freaking nasty"

Yep, you read it. That's a direct quote from my instagram. And what could it be in response to? A photo of my umbilical cord keepsake from Jayden's birth. Which I will include below.

But seriously? "Freaking nasty"?! I actually understand things like "ewww" and "gross" and "weird". Normal reactions for people who are so far removed from the ideas of natural birth, parenting, and living. The same people think "gross" and "indecent" when seeing a breastfeeding mother in public not cover up... which also includes me. Yet those same people are ok with teenage girls wearing what looks like denim underwear for pants and a brassiere for a shirt.

No, I don't think that everyone should just jump on the all natural bandwagon. It's a decision that should be well thought out. You have to determine if it's something that belongs in your own life, and to what degree. Eating organic? No GMOs? Only grass fed beef? Vegetarian? Vegan? Natural remedies? Birth? No chemicals or solvents in your home? There are many aspects and we are far from following them all in our home. You need the money, time, and dedication.  Of course I think it would be awesome if everyone did incorporate natural aspects into their lives, but that isn't really the topic here.

The problem is judging people for living and doing differently from yourself. Something we all do to some degree, try as we may not to. But to follow through with judging something you don't understand? Well...to me that's a bit childish.  Maybe it isn't for you.  Maybe you think it's disgusting. That doesn't mean anyone else has to agree, or that you have to bash that person.

And no, it's not a big deal that someone thinks my umbilical cord keepsake is "freaking nasty". But I'm sure someone also thinks that about my uncovered breastfeeding, my placenta encapsulation, or my water birth. Sometimes what is so different and "nasty" is actually what's natural and rooted in the history that has kept our species alive...

Food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment